`Milford Concert Band   Milford, CT


 


 

Milford Concert Band History

Band History | Past Members

The Milford Concert Band was established in 1992 as the Milford Community Band under the guidance and direction of founders Julia Gerace and Sheila Sardi.  Prior to that, the only other official hometown musical group, the Milford Coronet Band, had been formed over a century earlier.

Milford Coronet Band - Milford CT's original hometown musical group
photo courtesy of Richard Platt, Historian for the City of Milford

The photo above depicts the Milford Coronet Band on the Green near the present site of the Milford Savings Bank. 

This picture is extremely interesting because it shows Henry Sherman standing to the left of the bass drum. Henry, the name he called himself, and Sherman, after General Sherman, was the last of the Pagauset or Milford Indians.  He had been on a reservation in Kent, Connecticut, but "joined up" during the Civil War.  As a result of his service, during which he lost his left arm, he "regained" freedom and was allowed to remain in Milford, the home of his ancestors.

His great pride was to carry the drum in the band.  Occasionally on returning to his home (on the Wepawaug above Kissing Bridge), late at night, he would let out a war whoop that "would make your blood run cold."  He was peaceful, never the less, and died about 1900.


Home | Officers | Calendar | Photos | Members | Contact/Directions | Links